Tuesday, February 4, 2014

It's Noon Somewhere…Original Hurricane


I have already featured a variation of the classic New Orleans cocktail, The Hurricane (SoCo Hurricane).  When K and I were in New Orleans last year we avoided the fabled (?) Pat O'Brien's, the bar where the hurricane was invented, but I did have a lovely, flavorful Hurricane at The Sazerac Bar in The Roosevelt Hotel (where the bartenders provided enough entertainment I could still be sitting there).  A few months ago, on a nostalgic afternoon, K and I went to Marcela's Creole Cookery in Pioneer Square, a lovely little swath of New Orleans in Seattle, and I decided to order the Original Pat O'Brien's Hurricane (hey, I didn't have to go to work!), which I knew full well would be made of the eponymous mix I had seen in NOLA.  Well, that wasn't the best choice, as it was like an adult Kool-Aid only you couldn't taste the rum.  SWEET was its only flavor.  So, all though this recipe is for the "Original" Hurricane, no fear, readers, I would never subject you to a terrible sugar bomb!  Instead, we are going back to the actual original recipe, before it came in a powder!

The only ingredients are dark rum, lemon juice, and passion fruit syrup, which can be found at fine liquor stores and costs only a few dollars.  These are the only ingredients in the original Hurricane, but I found it a bit too syrupy, so K and I top the cocktail off with seltzer water.  The drink is fruity but acidic and slightly sparkly.  I wouldn't trade it for an "original" Pat O'Brien's Hurricane for anything!

Original Hurricane:

2 oz dark rum
1 oz passion fruit syrup
1 oz lemon juice
Seltzer Water

Mix rum, syrup, and lemon juice together in a shaker with ice.  Serve in a Collins glass topped with seltzer water.  Garnish with cherries!

In honor of the forthcoming Mardi Gras, I have one more Hurricane recipe coming in the next few weeks!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment